Jeddah: The Saudi government Sunday declared Hajj 2012 as one of the most successful Muslim pilgrimage seasons despite the huge influx of pilgrims across the globe.
Governor of Mecca region and Chairman of Central Hajj Committee, Prince Khalid Al-Faisal said that the number of pilgrims ranged this year between 3.16 to 3.65 millions, blaming the inaccuracy on the enormous number of unregistered pilgrims.
This huge number of unregistered pilgrims has caused many problems for the hajj organizing committee, he said while addressing a press conference in Mecca.
He pointed out that there were more than 120,000 security men had been mobilized to provide services for pilgrims, in addition to 10,000 vehicles, 25 civil defense helicopters and public security 20 helicopters operated by 360 pilots and technicians, as well as 30,000 surveillance cameras, 100 roving security patrols, and 200 security centers.
It is to be mentioned here that the Hajj is a pillar of Islam and an obligation on every Muslim to perform it once in a life time. Saudi authorities have spent billions of dollars in recent years improving hajj infrastructure to avoid of stampedes and accidents.